Monday, December 6, 2010

The Local Cafe has a soda fountain but it's Coke only

I was at my tiny local diner for breakfast the other day and their soda fountain caught my eye.  Only 3 choices were available:  Coke, Diet Coke, and Water.  Growing up with these machines, my earliest recollection was having 7 choices available.  The four missing would be a combination of Orange, HI-C, Sprite, and Root-beer, Pepsi, Mountain Dew.  I am sure that in the 1970's most of  these machines were full service.  An employee of the establishment would fill your cup with too much ice and not enough beverage.  Refills were usually out of the question, unless you had a quarter and were at Wendy's.  Now of course you fill up your own cup about 90% of the time in most convenience and fast food establishments.  I always make it a habit to steal extra sips as I am filling my cup.  Its not true, but it makes me feel I am  getting back at the "MAN" for his super high prices I have to pay. It is no big deal to young people, but to anyone over 35, being able to choose between Coke and Pepsi at the same fountain machine is the "Bomb"

I  have noticed that you will pay $1.50 or more for a cold 16 ounce sized soda can or bottle, but for that same price or even less you can get a 44 ounce fountain soda of your choice.  How do the retailers do what they do?  The soda fountain machine is the biggest all time money maker in food service, with or without the store having to pay someone to pour it for you.  The fountain soda costs the stores the minimum to operate and sell cold drinks. It alway has been a huge moneymaker, till maybe now.  Why else would my little cafe in Elkridge choose not to supply the other fountain drinks?  Could it be that business is down,  because less people are working meaning less breakfast sandwiches are sold.  No one buys just one drink at a cafe,  they come to get some chipped beef, eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, chicken salad sandwich, hamburger and french fries.  I begin to wonder if this move by my cafe is to just hang until better days are ahead? This could be a sign of the times and the options with the fountain sodas are going the way of the Chevy Nova.  I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it, my corporate pals can watch from their store cameras and still see that the soda machines are still the busiest place in the world in 7-11's.  Thank Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment