Monday, December 6, 2010

The jobs come and go, and many times they are the same recycled job

Been out of work since November 3rd, 2009, thats just past 6 months.  Not critical yet in terms of living thanks to my wife being the breadwinner of the family, and because of DLLR and the unemployment checks I get, but it gnaws at my sense of well being  just the same.  I have worked since I was 10 years old, and averaged 32 hours a week during college.  I have not been out of work more than a month during the 23 years I have worked since graduating UMCP.  In the days since May 3rd I have entered 24 resumes to firms supposedly offering jobs that fit my search criteria.  Supervisors, operations managers, dispatchers positions for which I possess experience and have qualifications for.  I enter I will work any shift demanded of me, and have worked third shift many times in my past work history.  I never hold back any required information:  including Age, Sex, Race, SSA number, references, past work history, resume, and complete any physiological tests required, sign up for the company's website, make a password, well you get the idea.  I give them anything they ask for.

Just the same I have notice a disgusting pattern of post a job and taketh away a job going on this past year and a half.  I knew I was going to lose my job last year, I just didn't know when.  I actually had been looking for a new job since February of 2009, and can say that this cycle of employment opportunities has been going on for a long time.  Companies look to the economy, and if they see an up tick they look to expand.  They tell their HR people get the ads out, lets get some bodies in the building so we can handle the increased business.  The problem is they see the down tick within the same short time and usually do not hire anyone.  Look to the last 3 negative issues to see if these jobs I just applied to get filled.  The events would be BP's Louisiana gulf off shore drilling fiasco, Volcano eruptions over Iceland disrupting world airline travel, and finally the Stock Market losing 1000 points in an hour last week.  All these events have brought the bulls to the forefront and put up a road block for our recovery, and I promise you, many jobs will be pulled back from the market place.

Here are three companies who have been playing this I got a job, now I don't peekaboo game for the past year.  There all local to me in the Maryland.  Dreyer's Ice Cream  posted the same coaching supervisor job every month in 2009.  Sleepy's needed a dispatcher, and a  2nd ,3rd shift supervisor. They have an ad out today for the same.  Iron Mountain, which I applied over 6 months ago and never heard back.  Did they ever hire someone?  Did it not work out?  I don't know.  I can't reapply to the current post because I have already applied.  That doesn't seem quite right.  Maybe Iron Mountain never even gave serious consideration for me, as the job was pulled back in the first place.   Do I think I have a chance for this same job now that my resume is on file from 6 months ago?   Ask any HR person, they will tell you I don't have a prayer, and now they locked me out from being seriously considered.  More than a few companies are using this approach now so they can poach current employees and only consider those recently laid off for the same "open positions" they had as long as 18 months ago.  This strategy will keep the long term unemployed until they fall off the rolls of being employable, and won't be good for the USA's economy in the long term future.

No comments:

Post a Comment